Great Barrier Reef Volunteer Hostie Program
Our Hostie Program lets you make the most of your money and extend your trip to the Great Barrier Reef by staying and working as a volunteer Hostie.
Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, we have trips departing daily from Cairns.
We need the help of enthusiastic, helpful people for light duties as volunteers on our luxury overnight dive boat. Once you have been a guest, you can stay a hostie in exchange for free accommodation, meals and use of the Great Barrier Reef!
You must go on a fully paid trip as a guest first and then provide you have a good work ethic. You can stay on working as a volunteer Hostie in exchange for accommodation, food and time to explore the Reef.
Questions and Answers
Our Hostie program is an excellent way of spending extra time on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef.
How long can I stay working as a volunteer Hostie?
After your paid trip, you will start work as a hostie at 1:00 pm on the next day of your journey.
We guarantee you will be able to stay on for another two days if you have booked an overnight trip or another three days if you booked more extended accommodation as a guest.
If you have a good work ethic and show effort in working well with our crew and new oncoming guests, there’s an opportunity to stay longer.
Next, speak to the Purser on board. The Purser (aka – hotel manager) looks after the returning volunteer hostie roster.
If the guest pays for a two day, 1-night trip – we will guarantee that they can work as a hostie for at least two additional nights accommodation.
Alternatively, if the guest pays for a three day, 2-night trip, we will guarantee three extra nights accommodation.
What is included in our hostie program?
It is not a paid position. If you want to stay after your paid trip, you will receive free chef-prepared meals, free accommodation (in crew quarters) and opportunities to go either scuba diving or snorkelling.
Volunteer hosties can earn up to two scuba dives or snorkels per day, providing you have finished your duties.
* If you book as a snorkeller, you may only snorkel as a volunteer hostie.
* Certified divers may continue to dive or snorkel
* Introductory Dives. Volunteer hosties may continue on introductory resort dives, provided an instructor’s space.
We only allow a maximum of four diver guests to an instructor. You must complete at least one paid resort dive as a guest to be eligible to join in on any accessible resort dive spaces as a volunteer.
* Hosties must purchase a hostie T-shirt that is $15.00AUD, and you get to keep it!
What will I be doing for my volunteer work?
Reef Encounter crew understand that you are on holiday and how easy it is to go into relax mode; however, you will need to work as a volunteer hostie. Some of the duties will include:
- Kitchen duties, i.e. kitchen hand, waiting and setting of tables.
- Housekeeping duties, ie. Stripping and making beds, cleaning bathrooms.
- Laundry duties, i.e. loading washing and drying machines
- Baggage handling, i.e. taking the oncoming guest luggage to and from the transfer tender and to the guest allocated room on arrival.
- There may be other duties required.
- Work hard ~ Play hard with the Great Barrier Reef as your backyard.
Will I get free time?
Absolutely! As long as you finish all your duties.
Some aspects of your day will be busier and require you to work a little more complicated than other times.
Where can I book?
Right here on our website!
Chat with one of our friendly team right now. We will be happy to answer any questions.
You can also leave a message or email us.
Don’t delay our volunteer hostie program fills fast!