Great Barrier Reef Hostie Program onboard Reef Encounter is a great way to see the Reef and have loads of fun!!
Our Hostie Program allows you to make the most of your money and extend your trip to the Great Barrier Reef by staying on as a Hostie onboard the award-winning Reef Encounter.
We need the help of enthusiastic, helpful people for light duties as Hosts/Hostesses on our luxury overnight dive boat in exchange for free accommodation, meals and use of the Great Barrier Reef!
You must go on a fully paid trip as a guest first and then providing you have a good work ethic you can stay on as a Hostie
Questions and Answers
Our Hostie program is an excellent way of spending extra time on Australia’s Great Barrier Reef one of the seven natural wonders of the World without blowing your budget
How long can I stay?
After your paid trip, you will start as a hostie approximately 1:00 pm on the second day of their journey. We guarantee you will be able to stay on for another two days if you have booked an overnight trip, or another three days if they booked longer.
If you have a good work ethic and show effort in working well with our crew and new oncoming guests, there’s an opportunity to stay longer. It could be anythin
g from 3 days to 3 weeks or longer if you do wish to return to shore at any stage, you will need to speak to the purser onboard. The purser looks after the returning hostie roster.
If the guest pays for 2D/1N trip – we will guarantee that they can stay on as a hostie for at least two additional nights. Alternatively, if the guests pay for 3D/2N, we will guarantee three extra nights.
It is not a paid position. If you want to stay after your paid trip, you will receive free chef-prepared meals, free accommodation (in crew quarters) and opportunities to go either diving or snorkelling. Hosties can earn up to 2 dives per day, providing you have finished your duties.
*If you book as a snorkeller you may only snorkel as a hostie.
* Certified divers may continue to dive or snorkel
* NSS – intro dives, hosties may continue to go on introductory dives provided spaces are available as we only allow four new guests to an instructor.
* You will have to purchase a Hostie Tshirt which is $15.00, and you get to keep it!
What will I be doing?
Reef Encounter crew understand that you are on holidays and how easy it is to go into relax mode; however, as a hostie, you will be expected to work. Some of the duties will include:
- Kitchen duties, i.e. kitchen hand, waiting and setting of tables.
- Housekeeping duties, ie. Stripping and making beds, cleaning bathrooms.
- Laundry duties, i.e. loading washing and drying machines
- Baggage handling, i.e. taking the oncoming guest luggage to and from the transfer tender & to the guest allocated room on arrival.
- There may be other duties required.
- Work hard ~ Play hard. (The Great Barrier Reef is your backyard!!!)
Will I get free time?
Absolutely! As long as you finish all your duties.
There will be some aspects of your day that will be busier and will require you to work a little harder than other times.
Where can I book?
Right here on our website! If you have any questions you can chat with one of our friendly team right now. If you are in a different time zone and we are asleep you can leave a message and we will get back to you when we wake up,
Check out what’s available on Reef Encounter Liveaboard CLICK HERE
Don’t delay our hostie program fills fast