Cairns Liveaboard Reef Encounter is a holiday all in itself, and we believe it’s the best liveaboard trip out of Cairns.
Australia’s floating hotel, “Reef Encounter” offers the same luxury facilities of a land-based hotel while cruising the pristine waters of the spectacular Great Barrier Reef. For this reason, it is one of the unique holidays escapes in Australia.
Multi-share accommodation offers dormitory-style cabins with three bunk beds to a room.
All cabins have their ensuite. You can choose from a variety of packages to experience the Great Barrier Reef – see the sunset and sleep on the reef, go snorkelling or become a certified diver. You may already be a qualified scuba diver and want to enjoy the six water sessions per day! Everyone can enjoy the fantastic variety of corals and marine life in this world heritage marine habitat.
A full air-conditioned 35-metre catamaran hotel, designed for the utmost stability and comfort at sea, Reef Encounter boasts a large dining saloon, TV and lounge area and a vast sundeck. She has her very own outdoor hot tub and licensed bar onboard.
Reef Encounter has the latest in scuba equipment along with massive easy access dive and snorkel platforms, with glass bottom boat tours available free of charge upon request.
Reef Encounter Is Unbeatable On Service And Value!
The Reef Encounter Team is the best in the business, winning personal awards for outstanding customer service in the tourism industry year after year!
Please Note: Minimum age for staying in a multi-share cabin is 18 years old
Reef Encounter Facilities
- A fully air-conditioned 35-metre catamaran hotel, designed for the utmost stability and comfort at sea
- Large dining saloon
- TV and lounge area
- Outdoor, freshwater hot-tub
- Spacious sundeck with sun loungers
- Fully licenced bar
- Large, easy access dive and snorkel platforms
- Helicopter pad on the roof for low-flying scenic helicopter tours over the coral reef as your transfer to/from Reef Encounter (optional extra)
Reef Encounter Accommodation
- Check-in time: 10.00am Check-Out time: 8.00am
- Air-conditioned cabins multi-share bunk cabin
- All cabins have their en-suite toilet & shower
- Towels and toiletries provided (soap, shampoo)
- All cabins have Australian power outlets
- Sleep on the Great Barrier Reef with Reef Encounter
- All meals prepared fresh daily, by our onboard Chef. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert. Fruit available throughout the day along with tea & coffee. All dietary requirements catered for – please advise us of these when booking
- The best crew on the reef! The Reef Encounter team is the best in the business, winning personal and professional awards for outstanding customer service in the tourism industry year after year
- The latest snorkelling and scuba diving equipment (wetsuits are a small additional charge)
- Glass bottom boat tour upon request
- On the voyage to Reef Encounter, you will have the option to listen to an informative Marine Biology presentation about the coral reef and marine animals
- Free luggage storage facility available at our offices in the Cairns City
Reef Encounter Overnight Itinerary Sample
7:30 am Breakfast onboard Reef Experience, Marlin Jetty “A” Finger, Cairns. Meet your Top Deck Attendant.
8:00 am Depart Marlin Jetty Marine Biologist Presentation Scuba Dive and Snorkel briefing
9:30 am Arrive Outer Great Barrier Reef ~ Transfer to Reef Encounter
10:30 am Snorkel Session – Sun bake and relax
12 Noon Buffet Lunch
1:30 pm Scuba Dive and Snorkel Session – Relaxation time
3:00 pm Cruise to our next Outer Great Barrier Reef Location
3:30 pm Scuba Dive and Snorkel Session – Relaxation Time
5:30 pm Sunset Cocktails
6:30 pm Dinner under the stars (weather permitting)
7:30 pm Night scuba dive, relaxation time, stargazing, board games or movie
6:30 am Early Morning Scuba Dive or Snorkel Session
7:30 am Breakfast served in your Cabin
8:00 am Cruise to next Outer Great Barrier Reef Site
8:30 am Scuba Dive or Snorkel session
10:30 am Scuba Dive or Snorkel session
Noon Buffet Lunch
1:30 pm Snorkel Session, Glass Bottom Boat Tour – Sunbake – Relax
How to Get There
Your transfer vessel, Reef Experience, departs from Cairns Marina: ‘A-Finger’ View map to Cairns Marlin Marina
Boarding commences at 7:30 am for check-in, directly on the vessel ‘Reef Experience’.
Arrive back to Cairns Marina at approximately 4:30 pm
Where Can I Park?
There are several parking stations throughout Cairns in walking distance of the Marina. Click here to see where.
Important Information for Scuba Diving
We have a passion for showing you Australia’s Great Barrier Reef, so please make sure you understand the scuba diving laws.
Queensland, Australia has some of the strictest scuba diving rules in the world but also the safest scuba diving record. The Queensland Government Code of Practice regulates us and comply with all regulations, including medical as is the law.
We recommend our passengers complete our dive medical questionnaire before booking as some medical conditions, age and medications may prevent you from scuba diving.
It is always our mission to provide our passengers with the very best Great Barrier Reef experience.
We are happy to help you with any questions you may have. Please contact our office on 07 4037 2700 or email us at [email protected]
Alternatively, you may like to consult your Doctor for a Dive Medical using the Australian Standard Forms ‘AS.4005.1
Flying after Scuba DivingFor a single no decompression scuba dive, you should not fly or go to altitude for at least 18 hours after a scuba dive. For multiple dives, you should not fly for 24 hours after your last dive. If Skydiving or Hot Air Ballooning you must wait 24 hours after your dive. We recommend waiting a minimum of 24 hours whenever possible
Click ‘Book’ to select your arrival and departure dates – and then choose your desired activities such as scuba diving, snorkelling or enrol on a dive course…